Betty's black china tea with rose petals brewed in a teapot. Memories of student days and my friend Roger who would still insist on using a proper teapot and loose leaf tea even in a student hall of residence.
These days, though, my tea of choice is very different. Having decided that the normal bog standard cup of English tea had an extremely diuretic effect on me I reluctantly tried to find an alternative. And now I drink rooibos (red bush) tea with milk regularly - the first drink of the day and often the last. But it wasn't a change made without reluctance - I missed Earl Grey in particular.
Now, with excitement, I have discovered that there is an Earl Grey rooibos tea available from my local health food shop, and it is a fantastic brew.
The options available are noticeably increasing, which to my mind can only be a good thing. Recently I discovered rooibos, vanilla, and cocoa. Obviously I bought it, although am still yet to try it. Can I admit that the packaging alone swayed me? But, in my defence, if the pretty packaging of cupcakes, pastries and pre-packed milk chocolates are no longer an option than surely a little nicety in the form of a pack of tea should be allowed. And it is the closest I have felt to the excitement of buying Betty's beautifully packaged loose leaf tea twenty years ago.
Time for tea? I think so.



No comments:
Post a Comment