Saturday, 25 April 2015

A working day lunch

From the start of my diet change lunchtimes became a challenge. I had fallen into the routine of so many busy working women and made my daily trip to Sainsbury or M&S to buy a pre-packed lunch. I knew I should be more virtuous than this, making time to make lunch at home - a way to be certain of what I ate and most definitely a way to save money - but when the hours in the day never seemed to be enough and tiredness was a constant state the daily food raids became a way of life, and in my mind an excuse to make me leave my desk for a brief while.

And any way did I know what I was eating, even if I made lunch at home? Sandwiches, with brown bread if I was trying to feel a little healthier, pre-packed salads that seemed to be low in calories, couscous, flatbreads filled with chicken in sweet sauces, confusing packaging, numbers and percentages that I was sure should mean something. But whatever care I took to try to understand, it seemed to make little difference - I weighed what I weighed (heavier than I wanted to be), and tiredness seemed to be constant.

Lunch now is easier. I take advantage of the fridge at work and fill it with a bag of salad (yes, pre-packed and from the supermarket, I admit it! But I am still busy). Adding olives, cold meats or fish, other antipasti (such as artichokes or peppers), cheeses (Roquefort is my favourite), seeds (pumpkin or sunflower), a splash of olive oil and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Perfect. A lunch that always feels like the sort of food you eat on holiday and have every intention of replicating when you return home (but never do). Yes it takes some thought on a Monday, but once I have filled the fridge it will last me for a few days, which actually makes it cheaper than buying separately daily. I have also discovered that there is something mood lifting about eating food from a plate with a knife and fork in the middle of a working day, rather than from a plastic packet.


No comments:

Post a Comment